cooking gyoza, potstickers

Steaming the top while frying the bottom to crispy goodness

This post is by Kay, who writes the K’s Kitchen section of Todd’s Wanderings. She also happens to be Todd’s lovely wife!

“What is your fiancé’s favorite food?” This was one of my hen night questions. ‘Gyoza!’ (normally called potstickers in English). I got the answer right and at the same time I became determined that I had to cook this dish very well all the time! [Todd here, isn't Kay a lovely wife?! I am a lucky man.] Well, the truth is that I also love Gyoza, but the problem is that we can’t buy the Gyoza skin in Kosovo. If we want to eat something we have to find a way, so I started making Gyoza from the scratch! If you have a Chinese (or Japanese/Korean) store near by, you can simply buy the skin (it is much easier and takes less time).

In Japan we usually fry them in a pan. This is a very satisfying dish and goes very well with beer [another of Todd's favorites] as well as with steamed white rice. Be careful, it’s addictive! I hope you enjoy the goyza recipe and eating them even more!

[print_this]

Ingredients (for 3-4 people / 32 pieces)

Dough

making gyoza, potsticker skins

It takes some time but it's worth it!

Flour 400cc: The ratio of Strong (Bread) Flour and Weak Flour is 300cc:100cc

Salt: 1/2 teaspoon

Hot water: 150-160cc

If you find the ready-made Gyoza skins at the Chinese/Japanese store, you can simply use them to save time.

Meat Filling

Ground pork: 200g

Water: 2 Tablespoon

Sake (Japanese alcohol): 2 Tablespoons (if you don’t have Sake, you can substitute with water)

Egg: 1 beaten

Chinese cabbage: 5 leaves (or you can substitute with regular cabbage)

Chinese chive: 2 Tablespoons (chopped after water poured). If you can’t find it, you can skip

Lard: 1 Tablespoon (you can substitute with vegetable oil but a bit less amount)

Ginger: 1 Tablespoon finely chopped

Leek: 1 Tablespoon finely chopped

Garlic: 1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped

Spices

Folding gyoza, potstickers

It doesn't take long to learn how to fold the skins.

Soya sauce: 1 Tablespoon

Salt: 1/2 Teaspoon

Sake: 1 Tablespoon (if you don’t have Sake, you can substitute with water)

Pepper: a pinch

Sugar: a pinch

Sesame oil: 1 Tablespoon

Corn (rice) Starch: 1 Tablespoon

Dip

Chili oil (or Rayu):

Soya sauce

Vinegar

How to cook (cooking and preparation time: including Gyoza skins: 2hrs/ with ready-made skins: 45 min)

(1)  Shift flour in a bowl, add salt and hot water and knead the dough very well for about 15-20 min. Wrap with a wet cloth and leave it for 20-30 min.

(2)  Boil Chinese cabbage, chop finely, wrap with a cloth and squeeze to drain water.

(3)  Pour hot water on the Chinese chives and cut them finely. Finely cut ginger, leek, and garlic.

(4)  Put ground pork in a bowl and mix by hand adding water little by little followed by Sake and a beaten egg. Mix very well until the meat is sticky.

fried gyoza, potstickers

These are unbelievable with beer. Oh, I'm so hungry now.

(5)  Add Spices, ginger, leek, and garlic and continue mixing well. Add Chinese cabbage and chives, and pour sesame oil. After mixing them all, put Corn starch. Put the bowl in the fridge for a while.

(6)  Take out the dough and shape it to a long bar shape. Cut this bar into 32 pieces.

(7)  Flatten each piece and spread it with a rolling pin to a width of 8cm circle.

(8)  Wrap the meat ingredients in the middle of round dough, fold into half, put water around the inside edge to act like glue, and put the edges together by making pleats around. To do this start on the left side and pleat corner then keep make progressive folds until you reach the right side.

(9)  Heat the frying pan on high heat, add oil, and line up Gyoza pieces. As soon as you put all the Gyoza down, add 1/2 Cup of hot water and cover with a lid. Cook until water evaporates, pour in a little oil and keep the pan on the stove for 1 minute to make the bottom crispy.

That’s all!!  Make the dipping sauce and eat with the sauce!

[/print_this]

Its not as confusing at it sounds! if you have any questions ask away, otherwise report back and let us know how it goes.

If you liked the this post, K’s Kitchen or Todd’s Wanderings in general, we would love for your to share this with a friend (options are below).

29 Responses to “How to make Japanese Gyoza (in Chinese Jyaozi/ in English Potstickers)”

1. Yum, I love gyoza with miso soup. Gonna have to give this a try!
    April Thompson´s recent [type] ..Tea Leaf Salad and Deep Fried French Toast

2. GeymieNo Gravatar says:

What if I’m allergic to pork? Can I substitute the ground pork for ground beef?

3. Cole StanNo Gravatar says:

Gyoza is really good! I used to make this at home. Aside from that, I also know how to cook other dumplings. It was only last year when I learned how to wrap gyoza! LOL Courtesy of youtube of course.
    Cole Stan´s recent [type] ..7 Great First Year Anniversary Gifts For Friends

4. AmyNo Gravatar says:

Great recipe! Gyoza are one of my favorites and I’ll definitely try this when I next have a kitchen!
    Amy´s recent [type] ..Myth Busting 2- Long Term Travel is Irresponsible

5. devinNo Gravatar says:

Looks delicious. I am going to take a crack at it.
    devin´s recent [type] ..Bhutan Gets the Word Out

6. These look great. Any way you can make them vegetarian?
    Caz Makepeace´s recent [type] ..Travel Photo- Wild African Dog- Kruger Park- South Africa

7. JasonNo Gravatar says:

Kay & Todd,
    I love gyoza, but I have to say that I cheat and use the ready-made skins when I make them at home. I also get lazy and just dip them in regular soy sauce. My filling is typically pork, cabbage, shallots and garlic.
    Yum! Now I’ve got to make some.
    Jason
    Jason´s recent [type] ..Kids Volunteering In Cusco

8. RobinNo Gravatar says:

Travel combined with recipes – that is pretty much super-blogging, right there….
    Robin´s recent [type] ..Agua

9. I always get gyoza when I go for sushi – soo addictive.
    Ayngelina Brogan´s recent [type] ..How to watch football like an Ecuadorian

10. Sarah WuNo Gravatar says:

wow I’m getting hungry! Those r some yummy dumpling you got there.

11. i love gyoza too! but i don’t cook, i heat! i may just have to get together with a friend who loves to cook and give these a try though- they look so delicious. :)
    Lorna – the roamantics´s recent [type] ..How to get a Good- Safe Tattoo Abroad

12. AndreaNo Gravatar says:

Mmmm…I love Gyoza. I love a challenge when cooking and try not to shy away from making things like this. It’s fun to make things like spring rolls, sushi and ravioli…if you have the patience it can be very rewarding when they come out just right. Thanks for the recipe – will have to try these sometime!
    Andrea´s recent [type] ..The Other Way to Monetize Your Travel Blog

Good luck with it Andrea and let us know how it turns out. We love stories of success and failure. If anything is not clear just come back and we’ll fix it.

13. Yummmm!!!
    I think you misspelled leek. I just get my gyoza from Trader Joe’s or the local Asian market. :)
    I know it’s cheating, but after work who has time to do all the prep? Maybe one of these weekend, we’ll try it.
    retirebyforty´s recent [type] ..Company Incentive Stock Option

I used to buy the ready made ones in Japan as well. But the homemade ones are soooo much better. Thanks for the leek catch ;) Definitely recommend making them on the weekend. Just buy the skins and it goes nice and quick.

14. I’m horrible in the kitchen. I’ll have to trust that these came out great as mine would be in the trash, lol.

15. This looks very, very good. I’m not much of a cook, but perhaps I can try this. I also like tip about using sake in response to Inka’s comment.
    Cathy Sweeney´s recent [type] ..My Manhattan Affair

Hey Cathy, give it a try and let us know how it goes. The hardest part is getting the right level of crunchiness on the bottom. This just takes time figuring out heat and how long to leave it.

16. AdamNo Gravatar says:

Awesome. I love cooking, and I have never tried making gyoza myself before, though I love eating them in restaurants. I’ll have to bookmark this. Looks quite tasty and not too difficult.
    Adam´s recent [type] ..Will the Camaraderie Amongst Travel Bloggers Last

17. inkaNo Gravatar says:

My word, Todd, you can do this?? I’m a strange person, you see. I can’t cook to save my life but I absolutely love reading recipes. Please clarify one matter for me: how come you can use water instead of sake? That can’t be right.
    inka´s recent [type] ..Dipping your toe into Turkey in Kusadasi

Hi Inka, yes, I can make these. My wife and I usually cook together and while I’m better at Mexican I learn a lot from her. She is an excellent cook!

It’s true that sake is better, but when you don’t have it water is needed to soften up the meat. Doesn’t taste the same, but of course once its fried and you have a cold beer in your hand…who cares :)