This post is by: Kay (my lovely wife and writer for K’s Kitchen!)

Turkish Tabbouleh

Turkish Tabboleh in a nice Turkish bowl straight from Istanbul's Grand Bazarr

I just came back from my work trip to Istanbul. Although this was my third trip there, I am still impressed with the energy and number of people! And Istanbul will welcome you with so many interesting activities including beautiful historical sights, shopping, and delicious Turkish cuisine. Today, I would like to introduce you to one of the Turkish dishes called Kisir which is a Turkish style Tabboleh.This dish is very healthy and friendly for vegetarians. As usual, I had to substitute bulgur with couscous as I could not find bulgur in Kosovo (and forgot to buy it while in Istanbul). I hope you enjoy this glimpse of Turkish Cuisine!

Ingredients (for 4 people)

Couscous: 1 cup=240 cc (and of course use bulgur if available)

Hot water: 1 1/4 cup

Salt: 1 teaspoon

Tomato paste: 2 Tablespoons (other recipes calls for hot pepper paste which is probably better to add the spicy taste)

Green onions: 1/2 Cups (finely chopped)

Onion: half (finely chopped)

Italian parsley: 1-1.5 cups (finely chopped)

Cucumber: 1 (diced)

Red paprika: 1/4 cup (finely chopped)

Pomegranate syrup: 1 Tablespoon

Lemon juice: 2 Tablespoons

Cumin: 1 Tablespoon (if you fry and grind) / 2 Tablespoons if you use powder

Tomato: 1 (diced)

Pepper: 1 teaspoon

Olive oil: 2 Tablespoons (or more if you like)

Fresh mint leaves (if available): 2 Tablespoons (chopped)

How to cook (cooking/preparation time: 30-40 min)

(1)  Chop all the vegetables as instructed above

(2)  Put Couscous in a pot and pour hot water mixed with salt and tomato paste into the pot. Put a lid and let is sit for 10 minutes. Then fluff up couscous with a fork softly.

(3)  Roast cumin in a frying pan and grind them.

(4)  Combine couscous, pepper, cumin, vegetables, and mix them well.

(5)  Add Pomegranate syrup, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt depending on the taste.

(6)  Serve in a bowl!

That’s all! It is quite easy to make, isn’t it?

Was that easy? Delicious? Tell us how tasty it was, or how it all went horribly, horribly wrong :)

13 Responses to “How to Cook Kisir-Turkish Tabbouleh”

1. MikeNo Gravatar says:

This one of my all time favs. It is like my mom used to make, if she ever cooked for me…or knew how. But in truth I used to live off this stuff…. YUM

I printed out the recipe to try tonight.
    Mike´s recent [type] ..Dinner in the Jungle

2. AnnieNo Gravatar says:

Can’t wait to try this!!! I LOVE finding new recipes but the challenge is finding the ingredients here in Italy, this definitely looks do-able and I even have some cous-cous! Can’t wait to try it! YUM!
    Annie´s recent [type] ..Top Picks in Prague

3. AdamNo Gravatar says:

We make a similar style salad all the time at home, but with more of a Greek flair to it. But we both love salads like this with plenty of grains, fresh veggies, and herbs. Good stuff, and we’ll definitely have to add it to the list.
    Adam´s recent [type] ..La Boca Picture Post

4. THE best salad dish in Turkey!! :) We’ve just joined your Facebook page and seen this so had to have a look at the recipe. We just can’t leave kısır alone when I make it. I always make a huge bowlful.

5. AmyNo Gravatar says:

Looks delicious!
    Amy´s recent [type] ..A Miracle Berry Adventure- Tokyo- Japan

6. NorbertNo Gravatar says:

Yumm, looks delicious. Might even try it some day, but I’m sure it wont taste as good since I’m an awful cook.

7. Sarah WuNo Gravatar says:

Yummy…. I never had Turkish food and this inspire me want to try it out. Nice shot.
    Sarah Wu´s recent [type] ..Photos – Tasty Salvadoran Cuisine In Queens

8. thanks for the recipe, the food looks delicious

9. Todd WasselNo Gravatar says:

Hi Natalie, if you lived next to us you would be more than welcome for dinner every night :) The lamb chops and kebab sound delicious.
    Todd Wassel´s recent [type] ..The Happiness Chart psst It’s really simple

10. Scrummy! Well done. I would love to be able to cook Turkish cuisine but I can not even boil an egg. If I want Turkish cuisine then I have to head for a lokanta. Good job you are not my neighbour, because judging from that photo, I would be knocking on your door for dinner every night. I would actually eat that with some lamb chops or a nice Adana Kebab.
    Natalie – Turkish Travel Blog´s recent [type] ..Kayseri – Turkey In Full Glory